There are different types of crib mattress to choose from, but what matters most is getting a quality one. Which type you end up buying is more a matter of personal preference.
The 10 best crib mattress in UK
We asked thousands of real Babylist families about the products they love the most. We took the top products they shared with us and added our own research and insight to tell you about the 10 best crib mattress in UK.
1. Newton Baby and Toddler Breathable Cot Bed Mattress
If there’s one thing you’ll learn from hours of baby snuggles, it’s that babies and toddlers sleep hot. We’re talking sweaty all the time, something that may wake your little one up at night. This unique mattress is designed without springs or foam; instead, it’s made of a breathable, recyclable food-grade polymer that keeps baby from overheating at night by increasing air flow beneath her. Plus, not only can the cover be unzipped and go in the washer, but you can submerge and clean the core in a tub.
2. Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Mini Crib Mattress
A mini crib is a great option if you’re tight on space or simply want a crib with a smaller footprint. This one is perfectly sized for a mini crib, yet still offers many of the same benefits as a full-size crib mattress would. It’s double-sided (firmer, high-density foam for the infant side and plusher foam for toddlers) and made in the US from premium materials. It’s also Greengaurd Gold certified and made from performance fabric that’s waterproof, hypoallergenic, and odor and stain resistant.
3. Next2Me Chicco Crib Mattress
This Mattress is made with premium quality materials and workmanship. The mattress offers cushioned comfort for infants and toddlers. The fantastic product features a safe hooking system with four elastic bands to safely attach it to the mattress.
The waterproof cover is stain-resistant to help protect against liquids leaking inside that helps prevent mildew and odor from seeping inside. Breathable, it allows air circulation within the surface in contact with the baby and the crib’s mattress.
It is washable and compact. when rolled-up, can be cleaned in the washing machine. The lock-stitched binding is essential & part of the new standards, so the edges won’t unravel and create a safety issue. Easy to fit to the next to me crib!! This mattress is firm and resilient that features full perimeter border wires that keep the sides, corners, and edges of the mattress firm and maintain their shape all along the edges for extra safety.
The foam in the mattress is comfy and soft to the touch, features an anti-slip layer to keep it in place, and it’s precisely fitted to reduce wrinkles and bunching as your infant sleeps. No need to worry about the night time accidents and daytime spills, all you need is GAX baby crib mattress!!
4. Breathable Quilted and Waterproof Foam Mattress
This excellent quality MATTRESS is Suitable for Newborns and Toddlers Surrounded by a breathable yet water repellent, anti-allergenic cover Nursery grade high resilience foam insert which provides posture, support and comfort Product’s Features Washable Cover The cover may be removed and cleaned separately The “Open Cell’ foam structure allows good airflow and helps promote heat dissipation The foam is free from antimony, phosphorus, and arsenic based fire retardent treatments and made with an ‘Ozone’ friendly formulation.
5. Kinder Valley 100 x 50 Kinder Flow Mattress
The Kinder Flow Compact Cot Mattress contains a specific nursery grade poly-fibre insert which provides posture, support & comfort. Its suitable for newborns and toddlers and is surrounded by a breathable yet water repellent anti-allergenic cover. The high density polyester pad allows heat dissipation from the body to minimise sweating and create a comfortable sleep for your baby. The cover is also removable for washing in case of any accidental spillages.
6. Naturalmat Coco Mat, 140 x 70 x 10 cm
The Natural Mat Quilted latex cotbed mattress is completely natural and is tapped straight from the rubber tree. The latex forms a springy core and is sandwiched between layers of organic coir for extra support which is then wrapped in our anti-dust mite lambswool.
The Quilted Latex mattress is our most hypoallergenic mattress, to keep those dust mites and allergens at bay. Handmade in Devon using organic materials which are naturally breathable and self- ventilating to help baby regulate their body temperature for a comfortable night sleep.
7. AirComfort Eco (140 x 70 x 13 cm)
This value-for-money cot bed mattress comes with a quilted hypoallergenic, breathable cover (which is also reversible) and is a versatile choice that fits a range of toddler beds.
Fit just as described and will fit any cot bed/toddler bed. I feel it was very good value for money compared to others especially being that extra bit thicker,’ writes a fan.
8. Alvi Crib Mattress with Dry Effect 90x40cm
The soft bedside bed mattress is skin-friendly and heat regulating. The multilayer cover consists of TENCEL fibre (made of organic materials) and has a practical dry effect. The upper layer lets the moisture pass through. The second layer consist of a 3D air pocket which absorbs the liquid and dries it off quickly. The bottom layer is made of a waterproof, breathable fleece which prevents the core from getting wet.
Furthermore the baby mattress has a vertical ventilation system. The air circulation prevents heat accumulation and guarantees a comfortable, non-toxic sleeping surface
Alvi only uses carefully selected and tested materials. The fibre is 100% organic and consist of natural, renewable materials. The co-sleeping mattress is oeko-tex certified and antallergic.
9. The Little Green Sheep Natural Twist Cot Bed Mattress
When you look for information about the Natural Twist Cotbed Mattress from The Little Green Sheep, the very first feature you will notice is that it is dual-sided. What this means is that one side of the mattress is firm, as a mattress should be for babies up to 12 months of age; and the other side is soft and supple with natural latex providing highly comfy sleeping space for children over 12 months.
The mattress is 100% natural and provides your little one with the right level of support as they grow. It is handmade from only four natural ingredients: breathable cotton, coconut fibres, natural latex, and organic sheep’s wool. The wool is naturally hypoallergenic and creates a clean, dry, and anti-dust mite environment for your little one to sleep in. The mattress is safety certified, suitable for babies right from birth up to 5 years of age, and comes with a 5-year guarantee from the manufacturer.
10. Nook Pebble Air, Cloud by Nook
The Nook Sleep Pebble Air is an all-in-one crib mattress that doesn’t require a mattress pad or cover. Its light-as-a-feather design keeps the mattress breathable to help your baby sleep comfortably. The mattress includes zinc guards to protect your baby against any built-up germs for a clean and safe mattress. The Pebble Air comes in three colors to find the best fit for your nursery design.
How to Choose a Crib Mattress
Crib mattresses are similar to adult mattress, but with a few special considerations. Here’s what to look for in a crib mattress:
- Firmness: Crib mattresses are firmer than adult ones in order to keep babies safe and to support growing bones while they sleep. Make sure the mattress is rated for infant use.
- Waterproof: Crib mattresses should have a vinyl or polyethylene surface to make them waterproof and resist mold. If yours is fabric be sure to use a waterproof cover.
- Fit: The mattress should fit snugly against the frame. You shouldn’t be able to fit more than two fingers between the mattress and the crib. If you choose a mini crib or bassinet, the same sizing rules apply.
- Materials: Some parents prefer mattresses made from natural and organic materials to avoid chemicals used in standard mattress production. (Note: No health effects have been evaluated yet).
Crib Mattress Safety Guidelines
Obviously, your baby’s safety is a top priority. Here are a few safety basics to keep in mind when choosing a crib mattress:
- Avoid second-hand if possible: Because of the dangers associated with mold and bacteria, it’s best to avoid a used mattress, especially if you don’t know the history of the product. Reusing one from another one of your children? Make sure there aren’t any openings in the waterproof cover where mold could’ve taken root.
- Keep the crib empty: Although they look lovely, pillows, bumpers, stuffed animals and blankets shouldn’t be in a baby’s crib. That’s because they can wind up covering your baby’s face and be a suffocation hazard. Keep it to a fitted sheet only.
- Place baby on their back: The safest sleeping position for your baby is on the back. It reduces the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), which is the leading cause of death in the first year of life.
- Check before you flip the mattress: If you have a double-sided mattress, check with your pediatrician to see if the time is right to flip it over to the toddler side. Most parents make the switch when their children are about 12 months old.
Crib mattress is designed to offer optimum support and comfort compared to other regular beds and are highly popular among parents. These crib mattresses will help in providing the utmost comfort along with the proper backing. To know the top 10 best crib mattresses, check out the list given above.